It’s important to know what is listed on a prescription medicine label and how to follow the stated directions for the medication. The label will contain the following:
- Pharmacy name, address and phone number.
- Prescription number.
- Patients (Resident’s) name.
- Prescribing physician’s name.
- Name of medicine, strength and quantity.
- Date of dispensing & Expiration date.
- Number of refills without a new prescription.
- Directions (how to take the medicine and cautionary warnings).
- Can include stickers or highlights with precautions such as DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL or KEEP REFRIGERATED. Most precautions are important to avoid interactions such as drug-drug, drug-food or drug alcohol interactions.
- Manufacturer: May carry both the generic name and the brand name, provided that the brand name is preceded by the words “generic substitute for…” or similar terminology.