Frequently Asked Questions

Regional Center is a placement agency that refers consumers who are developmentally disabled to Adult Residential Care Facilities.  Most people who open an Adult Residential Care facility wish to work with developmentally disabled individuals who are referred from Regional Center. Regional Centers are governed by the CA Dept of Developmental Services. There are 21 Regional Centers in California. To find out which Regional Center provides services in the area where your property is check this link. Each Regional Center has its own guidelines and ways of doing things.  You will need to contact your Regional Center to find out what the steps are to become a vendor. Experience Requirement The  Regional Center categorizes facilities based on a system of levels from Level 2, 3, 4a – 4i.   Levels refer to facilities, not clients.   Facility rates vary with each level. To become vendored with RC you need to document your experience working as a DSP in an Adult Residential Facility that is vendored with Regional Center. Experience has a medical professional such as a psychologist, LVN, RN, or MD  does not count.  Many regional centers require pay stubs to verify experience and do not count work as a volunteer. The experience requirement is associated with the level you will be vendored for. Level 2:  6 months Level 3: 9 months Level 4: 12 months. All of the Regional Centers require  the following: 1. Attend Regional Center Service Orientation 2. Submit a Letter of Intent 3. Submit a Program Design based on the principles of normalization   (program design is not your license application) Contact Your Regional Center There is no single protocol or answer on how to become vendored with Regional Center. Each Regional Center is different in all the steps outlined above. You will need to contact the Resource Developer of the Regional Center you wish to work with to obtain specific guidelines. The list below links you to most of the Regional Center websites that explain their vendorization process. Links often change or go dead.  Let us know if you find a bad link.

Regional Centers California

Alta California Regional Center Central Valley Regional Center East Los Angeles County Regional Center Far Northern Regional Center Frank D. Lanterman Regional Center Golden Gate Regional Center Harbor Regional Center Inland Regional Center Kern Regional Center North Bay Regional Center North Los Angeles County Regional Center San Gabriel/Pomona Regional Center Redwood Coast Regional Center Regional Center of Orange County Regional Center of the East Bay San Andreas Regional Center San Diego Regional Center Tri-Counties Regional Center Valley Mountain Regional Center Westside Regional Center The Initial Certification Course to become an administrator of an ARF  covers the process of becoming a vendor as part of the Business Component of the course. The course itself has nothing to do with Regional Center. The purpose of the ICTP ARF course is to become a Certified Administrator not a Vendor with Regional Center.  

Yes, you need to show three months of operating expenses in your bank account. Along with your application, you need to submit three months of bank statements that show you have three times your operating expenses.  Licensing expects your expenses will zero out on your estimated budget. That means if you have a monthly income of $20,000.00  you will spend all $20,000.00 to operate your facility. Therefore you would need to show $60,000.00 in the bank.

The amount is calculated using the Monthly Estimated Budget form that is part of the license application.

Regional Center Reimbursement Rates are based on the level of the facility.

Levels refer to facilities, not clients.

If you will be working with mental health clients you will need to see what is the social security income received by the client. Most clients with long-term psychiatric disability receive between $1000.00 and $1100.00 per month.

Decide what type of business entity you will be. Most people who operate residential care homes form a Corporation. As a corporation, you are protecting your personal assets in case you are sued. Common civil lawsuits are for falls in the shower and medication errors. Many people use Legal Zoom to form their corporation.
Legal Zoom

You must have a property to submit a license application.  The license is attached to the wall of the inside of the house. You cannot transfer or sell the license. You must also check that the property is not within 300 feet of another Community Care Facility. You can check your property here.

You may own or lease a property.

Register for the Component 1 Online Orientation.

Now you are good to go and ready to complete the license application.

Submit the correct fee with your license application to the
Centralized Application Bureau

To operate your own facility you must have a licensee and certified administrator.
Most people who open their own facility are both the licensee and administrator.
So the first step 99 percent of the time is to become a certified administrator and take the ICTP ARF Course .

The licensee is responsible for the business and has ultimate authority and control and liability.
The administrator is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the facility and compliance with all laws and regulations.

As the licensee, you may hire an administrator if you wish. If you hire an administrator you do not need to take the ICTP ARF course to become a certified administrator. If you decide to hire someone to act as the administrator then you will be the licensee.

Once you complete the ICTP ARF course you will be issued a certificate of course completion.
Next pass the state exam and the state will issue you your official  State Administrator Certificate that is good for two years. You renew your certificate every two years by taking 40 hours of CEU.


Yes, we offer  40 hours of renewal for RCFE.

Forty Hours Online RCFE

CCL has issued a waiver that all 40 hours of renewal can be taken online.

See page four in the linked document above for information re Recertification.

The RCFE Bundle includes 8 hours of Dementia Training as well as a four-hour regulation course that meets the state requirement for a 4-hour course in regulations and policies.

You can view more detail re other courses in the bundle by clicking here:

Course certificates are available for download and emailed to you instantly on completion of each course.

You can start an online course, leave the course and the system will remember your progress. You have one year to complete all courses.  We recommend you complete them quickly since the 40 hours online waiver may expire soon.


How to open an Adult Residential Facility for clients ages 18-59 is covered for 2 hours as part of the business section of the ICTP ARF Course.  We also offer consultation and preparation of the CCL License Application and Regional Center Program Design.



Subscribe to the Community Care Licensing Senior and Adult Care email list.


Even if you have been printed and cleared through other state agencies, educational institutions, police
agencies or governmental entities, you will need to be printed for CCLD purposes. You
will have to be printed again because the CCLD is not entitled to non-CCLD clearance
information, as background clearance information is not transferable.

If your clearance status is active and clear, you do not need to submit prints again. To find out if you are active and in the system contact the local CCL office and ask to check your clearance status. If clear the office staff will give you your LIS personnel number and status. If you are clear and active write a note with your application that you are clear along with your LIS Personnel number and clearance status.

Note that if you previously worked for a facility over two years ago your clearance may have expired.  Call. your local CCL office and check.

Once you complete the ICTP ARF course you also need to submit Fingerprint Clearance.

Step 1:  Locate a Livescan site. and schedule an appointment or call this number and they will locate a site and schedule your clearance: 800-315-4507

Step 2: Complete the LIC 508

Step 3: Complete the Livescan Form LIC 9163

Box #6: If you are not currently working for a facility enter this number in Box #6: 345599999

Box #7: If you are not currently working for a facility enter CDSS.

See example below

To learn more about the background check process view this Provider Information Notice 

You only need to take the Initial Certification Training Program again if you are more than four years from your last expiration date. If you take the ICTP again and you are not more than four years from your last expiration date your Administrator Application will be rejected.

Two years from the date on your current certificate.
As long as you postmark on the date your renewal is due you are on time.

Community Care Licensing requires that four of the forty hours required for re-certification must be instruction in laws, regulations, policies, and procedural standards that impact residential care homes.

The courses below are all approved regulation courses that meet this standard.

Step One:  Take a state-approved certification course to become an Administrator of an Adult Residential Facility for clients ages 1-59:

Step Two:  Take and Pass the State Exam.  Due to the state of emergency, the state is not offering the exam.  On completion of the ICTP ARF course, you may apply for a conditional Admin certificate without taking the exam. The state will issue you a conditional certificate pending passing the exam at a future date.

For more detail on when and how the state will be offering the exam check this link.

For more information on the  State of Emergency check this link:


All RCFE (Resenditial Facility for Elderly) renewals must complete 8 hours of Dementia Training that are approved by CCL.

Dementia Approved  courses are listed below and are  included in the 40-hour bundle for RCFE


Alzheimer’s Dementia: History Intervention

Sex and Dementia

Administrators of all Facility Types must renew their administrator certificate every two years.
You must complete 40 hours of renewal.

The state has issued a waiver that all 40 hours of renewal may be taken as online courses. We offer 40-hour bundles that can be viewed here.

Scroll to Top