DPSS Approvals: Substance Abuse and Co-Occurring Disorders
This 5-hour live course is an overview of substance abuse, dependency, physiological and psychological effects, drug classification and treatment. Students will learn how substance abuse differs in youth, developmentally disabled, and communities of color.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
1. Identify the cycle of use, abuse, and dependency
2. Identify common physiological and psychological signs and symptoms of substance abuse
3. Understand commonly associated co-occurring mental health disorders
4. Have a greater knowledge of typical recovery timelines and treatment programs
5. Explain efforts to made to increase public awareness, reduce stigma, and diminish health disparities