Community Care Licensing Adult Residential Facility Application
Steps to opening a 6 bed Adult Residential Facility

Component I Orientation Certificate
To register for Online ARF Orientation

You must show three months operating expenses to obtain a license. You can calculate your operating expense by competing LIC 401 Monthly Budget.

Name of Your Facility
Note:  The name of your business can be separate from the name of your facility.  A good idea is to name your facility in a way that identifies it’s location. For example Sepulveda House North. Religious names may be heartfelt and meaningful to you but may be a turn off to family and others considering placement.

300 Foot Rule
An Adult Residential Facility cannot be within 300 feet of another Adult Residential Facility. You can be within 300 feet of another Community Care Facility such as Elderly or Foster Care. To check your address to determine 300 ft compliance login to CCL website

Corporation LLC
Most people who open up a residential care business form a corporation.  A corporation protects your personal assets if your business is sued. Many people use Legal Zoom to form their corporation or LLC. The advantage of an LLC if you do not need a board or more than one officer.
Articles of Incorporation along with bylaws.

Proof of 4 Hour HIV AID TB Course Completion for the administrator.

Fist AID Certificate (cannot be an online course)
For licensee and each and all  staff

Control of Property ( lease or title)

Fingerprint Clearance
You cannot operate a facility with criminal record other than minor traffic violation. If you have criminal convictions that include misdemeanors or felonies that occurred a long time ago you are eligible for an exemption . Serious crimes such as robbery, sexual battery, child abuse, elder or dependent adult abuse, rape, arson are not eligible for exemption.

Completing The Application
Click this link to download the application. Submit the application with your payment fee. The cost can be found here and is based on capacity. You must show you have control of the property to submit the application. After you submit your application you will be contacted by a licensed program analyst (LPA) who reviews your application. The regulations specify that the licensing office has 90 days to respond to your application




HIV AIDS TB Course and First AID
Your LPA will likely require that the person designated as the administrator show proof of completing a 4 hour course in HIV AIDS TB. First AID is required of all staff who work in the facility. Regional Center requires CPR as well.

Component II

Component II is when the LPA interviews you at the licensing office and discusses your application with you. You will likely have corrections to make on your application.

Component III
The LPA will come to inspect the facility and discuss any final corrections. Your licensed is issued a few weeks later.

View Sample Sketch
Drawing of inside house and lot.  Must easily identify the Electric Panel, Gas Shut Off and Water Shut OFF. Also, specify resident and staff rooms and how many clients in each room.  Also which room will be for non-ambulatory/ambulatory. Specify, exits, windows, living and dining room, kitchen, bathrooms, garage, driveway, gates, fence, walkways, storage garage cans and outside the area.  Dimensions must be specified for each room along with  front, side and backyard.


Good communication skills are a giant part of being successful. Understanding the perspective and needs of others goes a long way. Many people are surprised when they receive a less than enthusiastic reception when they speak to agency representatives. Agencies such as Community Care Licensing and Regional Center are charged with the responsibility of insuring that the people who provide care and supervision do not exploit individuals for financial gain.

Do Your Homework

Before you contact agencies and get too far along in the process, it is important to do your homework on what the mission of the agency is and how they implement it. Learn the basics of Title 22 when communicating with Community Care Licensing. When communicating with Regional Center become familiar with Title 17, developmental disability, person centered planning and the philosophy of normalization. By focusing on the agency needs instead of your own you will be seen as a professional and a good communicator who shares a common goal and purpose: providing good care and supervision. It follows the old dictum; the more you give, the more you get.

Like the development of any small business there are many steps involved. And whenever you deal with a government agency, there are hoops to jump through. Remember, California wants people to open up small residential homes. That is why the regulations and laws were created in the first place. My experience is that those individuals who are not deterred by disappointment and are not easily discouraged are the most successful.